7/30/13

SONG OF NORWAY at Carnegie Hall

(Seen April 30, 2013)


I thought I remembered SONG OF NORWAY, and looked forward to seeing this concert version at Carnegie Hall.  I guess I was experiencing false-memory syndrome, as I sat and listened --- and read the projected lyrics overhead.  I could not fathom how this show could have had such successful run in 1944 --- the year I was in College and "discovered" theatre.

This current production has a first-rate cast.  Jim Dale is the narrator (written by Roger Rees).  The cast includes Marni Nixon, Judy Kaye, and Santino Fontana.   Ted Sperling is the Conductor and Director.  The American Symphony Orchestra and the Collegiate Chorale contribute their vast talents.

The main problem is the inane lyrics and the musical arrangements.  The only song that seemed to survive was STRANGE MUSIC (a pop-record hit in its time).  The fine performances and singing voices were mostly dragged down by the material.

Incidentally, a program note points out that the 1970 film version was "one of the most overblown flops of all time", quoting Pauline Kael's New Yorker review: "the movie is of an unbelievable badness."  That pretty much sums up my feelings about this production.