8/13/09

SHREK The Musical at the Broadway Theatre

(Seen 12/19/08)

While I always try to keep an open mind before seeing a show, sometimes I do have apprehensions about some of them. I had not seen the animated film that SHREK The Musical was based on, but I was aware of the storyline. So I had no expectations beforehand. I confess that I enjoyed the show, despite the silliness and slap-stick approach to the characters.

Brian d'Arcy James achieved the impossible -- he brought charm and emotion to a character hidden behind a hundred pounds of make-up and costume. And the book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire have a certain amount of wit hidden beneath the words. While Sutton Foster creates an attitude which overcomes her stereotypical princess character, to do some of her best work to date.

Director Jason Moore deserves credit for some inventive work. All in all, it's entertaining.